Wednesday, January 20, 2010

B is for Bacon

As I approached the self-imposed deadline for posting in my "oh-so-exciting" blog, i realized i really had nothing to write about. As a result, I'm going to give you a quick tutorial on how I cook bacon in the oven. I know, how exciting, right?

I begin by taking a cookie sheet and covering it in aluminum foil. Be sure to cover the sides as well. You could skip the aluminum, but I personally don't like dealing with the messy clean-up of the greasy pans. When it's covered, place a cooling rack on the sheet as well.



Line up strips of bacon on the cooling rack(s). The pieces can touch, but don't overlap them.



Place the cookie sheet(s) in the oven at 400 degrees (don't preheat, just put them in and turn it on). If cooking multiple trays, swap their position (top to bottom) after approx. 15 minutes. Start checking for doneness after 20 minutes. Depending on the thickness of the bacon, it may take up to 25 minutes total.


Remove bacon to a plate lined with paper towels to absorb the grease.

This is my favorite method for cooking bacon. It doesn't require a lot of interaction or attention, and the grease splatter remains in a location where it can burn itself off. (Note: don't be surprised if steam escapes from the oven while cooking, this is normal)

Well, that's about it. I know, it's not very exciting, but hey, I warned you. But on the bright side, it is informative!

Peace Out!




No comments: